On 23/06/2005, at 12:12 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:

or will we still
have to use Windows PC to access things like this (and the DLI Skyview WA
and the Commsec Advanced Trading Program, and, and ....)

Yes you will*.

* Unless the move to x86 encourages improvements to tools like WINE etc
to the point where you can transparently run Windows programs much of
the time. This is a big maybe.

The problem is, and will continue to be, the Mac OS X API. The CPU
architecture doesn't matter much. The problem isn't getting the program for PowerPC, it's getting a Mac OS X port of the program. This will not
change, though porting might get easier if tools like WineLib are
improved.

Check out this news snippet at <http://www.macworld.com/news/ 2005/06/22/crossover/index.php>

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Fax (618) 9332 0913