on 24/06/05 07:58, Peter Hinchliffe at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On 23/06/2005, at 12:12 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:
>
>>> or will we still
>>> have to use Windows PC to access things like this (and the DLI
>>> Skyview WA
>>> and the Commsec Advanced Trading Program, and, and ....)
>>>

>> Yes you will*.
>>
>> * Unless the move to x86 encourages improvements to tools like WINE
>> etc
>> to the point where you can transparently run Windows programs much of
>> the time. This is a big maybe.
>>
>> The problem is, and will continue to be, the Mac OS X API. The CPU
>> architecture doesn't matter much. The problem isn't getting the
>> program
>> for PowerPC, it's getting a Mac OS X port of the program. This will
>> not
>> change, though porting might get easier if tools like WineLib are
>> improved.
>>

> Check out this news snippet at <http://www.macworld.com/news/
> 2005/06/22/crossover/index.php>

Very interesting, I think!
Sort of like VPC but completely different? (Wine is not an emulator)

Does that mean you get to use your Windows applications without having to
pay Microsoft for either VPC OR any incarnation of Windows?

Does that make it better/worse than (or just different to) the VPC/windows
solution - which I have found to not be a real solution for me - sometimes
things that work after a fashion but are too slow to be actually usable -
other times I just can't get them to work! (at least in the timeframe I am
prepared to waste on trying!)

Cheers

Neil
--