On 25/06/2005, at 12:44 PM, James Devenish wrote:

Hi Christof,

While you *might* have a software problem, slowdowns are reasonably
typical when hard drives are physically faulty. Potentially, you might
have lost some data, too. Someone else on this list might be able to
recommend your steps from this point forward. If you don't have backups,
I'd suggest that you get someone professional tell you what to do next.
I could imagine that trying to back up your hard drive now may make
things worse, depending on the nature of the damage (if any)

YOu need first to back up your hard drive onto another drive .

You might do that by connecting your PB to somebody else's Mac
 in Target Disk mode.

That's to say your hard drive shows up on the other Mac desktop.

Then use for example Superduper to copy your hard Disk, or
your users file on your hard disk
to another hard drive.  If needs be you could make a Sparse Disk Image
on the other drive to keep all your info in a separate image.

After all that you could try Disk Warrior running on the friends Mac
to rebuild the Directory of your Disk.  You could also try the
Mac Utilities Disk Utility to " Repair " your disk.

If you need to know more about Sparse Disk Image type
" Sparse Disk Image " into Mac Help.

If you want more info about using " Sparse Disk Image" with Superduper
mail me direct

Have fun

Bob