On 01/07/2005, at 9:29 AM, David Tapper wrote:

On 30/06/2005, at 9:18 PM, Rob Findlay wrote:

On 30/6/05 9:01 PM, "Andrew W. Hill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

You need to use an imap server, I do not know if gmail has this or
not, as pop (IIRC) does not allow you to grab headers and download /
leave on the server.

If I am wrong please do not shoot me, as I am not 100% sure, but
have always set users up with imap when they have asked for this
feature.

Okay, I won't shoot you, but POP3 servers do permit you to download a
copy of a message without deleting it.  I know this is supported in
Eudora and Outlook, but I don't know about Mail.app.  Often it
masquerades as a "leave on server for x days" feature.
Luck,
Andrew

Yes mail.app lets you leave a copy of the message on the server for X
days.
Configure is under account preferences. Do it on both machines of
course. Be
careful not to leave it there too long as your mailbox will fill up.
Rob

I already have the 'Leave on server' thing set up.  But for some
reason, it still won't download emails to two both computers.  I have
already have been able to do this with other POP accounts, but for some
reason gMail behaves differently.

Thanks for everyone's help.  I'll keep trying.
David

Hi David,

I don't use Gmail, but I did find this comment which might be helpful to you.

<http://www.emailaddresses.com/forum/showthread.php? s=cbe9e17f0baddf655a7465577205d37c&threadid=35701>

quote:
GMail POP is non-standard.
Generally speaking, each message can only be popped once.
Whether or not the message stays on the server is set by the user within GMail ...
       > Mail Settings
       > Forwarding and POP
       > POP Download:
       >> 2. When messages are accessed with POP

The choices are ...
       keep Gmail's copy in the Inbox
       archive Gmail's copy
       trash Gmail's copy

 However, it seems that you can reset GMail's pop list clicking on ...
Enable POP for all mail (even mail that's already been downloaded)
... and "saving the changes".
This will allow you to download a new copy of ALL your e-mail.

End of quote: