The CEO at my favourite charity is having a serious problem with applications quitting unexpectedly. Having spent a couple of hours las night producing a document in Word, with the Auto Save set to 1 minute intervals and physically clicking the Save button, Word just quit and the document vanished off the server, where it was saved to and had been closed and re-opened a couple of times since creating it, there is definitely no trace of it anywhere. He tells me that, except for the disappearing document, the same thing happens with Safari and FileMaker (not convinced about that one.)

I expect that the stock answer is to not use Word, but has anyone out there heard of anything like this happening elsewhere?

Office X 10.1.4, iMac 800 Flat Pane, Tiger (10.4.1) connected to an X Server also running Tiger, I have installed thelatest server update this morning and run Diskworrior over it, no problems found.

I will appreciate any other information and suggestions thanks,

Regards,

Adrian

Yes, we seem to have problems with people editing documents on the server using Word. One of the favourite things it does is to corrupt documents by destroying tables. We also occasionally have disappearing documents (and folders).

I'd suggest trying copying documents locally, editing them and then putting them back on the server. At least for a while to see whether it improves things.

If Safari and Filemaker are quitting though, there may be another problem. I'd also suggest checking the system log files to see if they can shed any light, and try memtestosx from <http://www.memtestosx.org/> on his machine overnight to see if there are any RAM problems.

If you're brave, you can try suggesting using NeoOffice/J or OpenOffice instead of Word, but changing mindsets is a much more difficult task to accomplish than changing machines :)

Have fun,
Shay
--
 Perth, Western Australia   Technomancer  Join Team Sungroper in the