On 06/07/2005, at 9:02 AM, Robert Howells wrote:

The compression software Stuffit was for a long time marketed by Aladdin,
more recently    Allume
and now they have been taken over by Smith Micro.

I cannot regard this as good news. Many years ago, the leader in Fax software for the Mac was a program called FaxSTF. It ran extremely well and was very full-featured. Then one day it was bought by Smith Micro, and it was never the same again. It became buggy, feature- poor, and eventually slipped off the map. Their attempts at a MacOS X version were no better (though I confess I have not bothered investigating recent versions).

Stuffit is such a crucial part of the way we work I sincerely hope Smith Micro don't apply the same standard to future upgrades. Although Mac OS X now has its own archiving technology based on the Zip format rather than .sit, and we can also easily create Disk Images, so much Mac content on the internet is available only as .sit files. I, for one, will be very careful about protecting by existing copies of Stuffit and Stuffit Expander, and very cautious about replacing them with upgrades produced by Smith Micro.

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Fax (618) 9332 0913