On 13/07/2005, at 10:37am, Mike MOORE wrote:

Dear wamuggers

Since upgrading to Tiger I have two problems with Office 98 in Classic: - Excel 98 insists on starting up each time I boot the computer (It is not listed in OS9 start up items).
- Word 98 freezes every time I print and has to be 'force quitted'.

I have tried reinstalling Office 98 from scratch and running all updaters available on the Microsoft site.

I am now up to OS X 10.4.2 and both problems still exist.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Download and use NeoOffice it is a MacOSX-Aqua derivative of OpenOffice.org which is a GNU based Office product. Totally free, reliable, and backward compatible. Opens Microsoft file formats that even Office has trouble with, absolutely brilliant language formats and control.

Not sure, but I believe X11 is not even required anymore? Even if it is required, X11is included on Tiger DVD, a simple install that opens up MAC OS X even more.

http://www.neooffice.org/

Cheers!

Rob