I'd just like to apologise for the truly awful grammar and narrative style in the post below. Sheesh.

T.

On 14/07/2005, at 4:10 PM, Toby Oldham wrote:

I just did a few quick test's printing a word X doc (3 pages, words and pictures) to PDF using Apple's interface (OS X 10.4.2).

- Saving as a plain PDF file 688Kb.
- As a PDF-X (supposedly plate ready print compatible) 752Kb.
- using the 'compress PDF' command (in the same menu) 232Kb.

Now, I'm not saying a 3 page word doc with a few pictures should be even 232Kb (44Kb would be lovely), but it seems okay to me, and prints just fine.

I'm taking a guess here, but I think that images dropped into word docs under windows get converted to MS own image format. Under Mac version of office they often remain e.g. a tif file embedded in a word doc. Hence the possible bloat.

I know that Adobe seem to think the best file format to save graphics dropped into Word is .png (that's what Illustrator uses when it 'Exports for Microsoft Office') ... you might want to try re-saving the images in the doc, dropping them back in, then use the compress pdf option (if you're running 10.4 of course).

The software mentioned by the people in earlier posts is all fine - I'm just suggesting something that won't cost money (unless of course you don't have 10.4 heh heh)

Cheers,
Tobes.