Kevin

The first thing that jumps out at me is that the Airport thinks it is
connected to the Internet via Ethernet.  So it is unlikely it will try to
establish another connection to the Internet if it thinks it's already
connected!

So, I'm wondering if you have the WAN port plugged into a switch or hub -
that would make the Airport think it is connected to the Internet.  Make
sure your local network is connected to the LAN port, not the WAN port.

Then, in the Internet tab of the Airport Config Utility, select Modem from
the "Connect Using" menu.  Enter your ISP details and away you go.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Greg