> From: "Andrew W. Hill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> I'm having a look around for car chargers/adapters for a current model
>
> I got a very expensive one from the place in Carillion Arcade.  It
> was $200, but it was made by Lind.  I've used Lind on my laptops in
> the past and found that they have excellent power conditioning.  I
> really don't trust a lot of the generic ones as I've blown power
> boards in the past from bad power, and car power supplies are
> notoriously dirty.  If you get a genero-one, make sure to plug it in
> after the car has started to avoid the surge.

Years ago I purchased a single-purpose Lind PowerBook adapter which ran a
few of my earlier PowerBooks, but being designed to plug straight into the
PowerBook bypassing the PowerBook's power adapter, it proved to be very
inflexible when Apple brought out later model Powerbooks which had different
power requirements (and plug sizes!).

Later on I used a friend's cheap $99 150w square-wave inverter that I ran a
few of my older Powerbooks in the car quite effectively from without any
obvious adverse effects to the Powerbooks (phew!).  The inverter had the
advantage as others have mentioned of being able to power other 240v devices
as well which proved quite handy on long off-road camping trips.

However, after we looked into purchasing an inverter of our own a couple of
years ago, it was pointed out to me that modern laptops have much slimmer
and lighter "switching" (is that the correct term Kat or others?)
power-packs than the old Powerbooks which are more susceptible to the
problems inherent in square-wave AC current.

As a result, it was recommended we buy a more expensive sine-wave inverter
($300 for a 150w unit at the time from the 12v Shop) that has run modern
iBooks and Powerbooks, GPS, digital camera battery chargers, lights, iPod
charger, etc (even an electric frying pan ouch!) etc at different times
quite effectively.

-Mart

Martin Hill
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]