Hi Chris,

Within the finder, click once on a pdf file.
Select "Get Info" in the File menu (Command - I)
About halfway down the Info window select "Open with:" and choose from the list (Preview will be showing initially). After selecting Acrobat or Adobe Reader click the "Change All..." button. Select Continue from the warning window and now all similar files will open with your selected application.

You can change individual files back to Preview if you want.

Cheers,

Mike