THANKYOU EVERYONE  !

I    WILL    be following through on all the suggestions and clues !

Right now though ... it works like expected !

Connected Router in just now , turned off PPOE in the Network preferences
from the usual set up,
and it started and mailed immediately .

Perhaps My ISP had Mail problems last night at the same time I was having Probs
 .. anybody's guess .

Cheers

Bob