Rosemary Horton wrote:

I know there are people out there who can help me.

I want to record audio onto my lovely Powermac (1.67 GHz PowerPC G4, Memory 512 DDR SDRAM) running 10.4.3.

My ignorance in this area is profound.

What cords, connectors, what do I plug in and where? What software is recommended?
To record
1) from audio cassettes.
2)  from lps.
3)  a microphone?

Is there software that will turn voice into musical notes?

As you have a few good questions, especially the last one, a bit of browsing may help. I have found hitquad.com to be the "versiontracker.com" of the audio world for me, they don't miss much.
The "bit" you might look for there is Shareware Music Machine.

You will need an audio editor if you want to cut or trim the recordings, most would also handle the recording itself I'd imagine.

I use "Audio In"(free) to record and Peak(not free) to edit.

Good luck
Paul