On 18/12/2005, at 11:38 AM, Rob Davies wrote:

Morning Ronda,

On 16/12/2005, at 3:56 PM, Ronda Brown wrote:

On 16/12/2005, at 2:10 PM, Ronda Brown wrote:

Hello People,

I've used my DiskWarrior 3.0.3 CD on my G4 iBook OSX10.4.3 many times with no problems.

Today I decided to try it on my New G4 PowerBook OSX10.4.3 . The Disk mounts on the desktop, but when I ReBoot & hold down 'C' key to start from the disk .......... yikes ..... Kernel Panic ...... which in turn causes Ronni Panic !!!

Why doesn't it work the same as on my G4 iBook?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Replying to my own email, from what I can find out, it seems that:
Quote:
"In most cases, older DiskWarrior 3 CDs cannot start up newer machines
because they do not have the necessary System files. To start up the
newest PowerBook models released at the end of October 2005, you need a
DiskWarrior CD with a more current operating system.

An Update CD (revision 39) with the latest startup System (Mac OS X
10.4.x "Tiger") and DiskWarrior 3.0.3 is available for order by calling our Sales Department at 800-257-6381 (US Toll Free) or at 281-353-4090
(International). The cost for the Update CD is US$12.95 plus US$7.95
shipping & handling fees.

Finally, if you purchased DiskWarrior within the last 30 days, we will
send you an updated CD for the price of shipping."

Seems odd to me that they are offering free upgrade software to people with older versions of DW (ie. pre-3.0.3) But if you are people who bought 3.0.3 specifically to work with Tiger, then bought a new Mac and found that DW no longer worked with Tiger - you have to pay for a replacement."
End of Quote:

Has anyone with a New PowerBook managed to startup from their DiskWarrior 3.0.3 CD?

It is an ongoing argument I have with Diskwarrior and Australian distributor - PICA software. When purchasing a brand spanken machine you must purchase the upgrade CD for this machine from PICA at $25 each time unless of course it is within the prescribed 30 days for which I have found is bogus here in Australia. Version you purchase has to be able to start-up your machine, then you can go for the online update even though an older version will update to latest being 39 bad luck have to purchase an upgrade CD for current machines.

This is an email response, one of many from PICA earlier in the year..

"Hi Rob,

I can understand your frustration, however this has always been the procedure with Diskwarrior. It is unfortunate that the disk was just purchased, however revision 36 did not begin shipping until Feb 14th, however I would have expected the reseller to have the revision prior to this. It may be worth discussing the situation with them to see if they can come up with an appropriate solution.

Once revision 36 is obtained this will boot your PowerBook, minor software updates and most hardware upgrades will not affect this. You will only need to obtain another minor update if you obtain a new computer and/or when a new version of OS X (i.e. 10.4.x) is released. This is simply an update, not an upgrade hence the price.

Diskwarrior is a great product for repairing hard disks as well as preventing damage, however the reason for this is the fact that it contains unique information about each Mac on the market. without this information the product will not perform as it cannot meet the standards that are required.

Cheers, Mairian."

My solution has been to learn about FSCK from the internet and with assistance of some very Patient folk over at the Perth Linux User Groups (PLUG) mailing list or monthly workshops. Hence, have not needed DiskWarrior for some time just run the Apple scripts through Cocktail and problems seem to resolve themselves. Which I have not seen any since using 10.4 and later .3 OS X anyway. Defragmenting and corruption issues are solved by using HFS+ Journalling file system and Disk Utility monthly, which is utilising FSCK anyway.

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/maintainingmacosx.html

Another informative site for OS X issues http://www.macosxhints.com

Finally, if not implemented already Introduce yourself to a backup regime, Automator and an external firewire drive works for me.

No need for said software.... and save a bit of money on upgrades.

Cheers!
`Rob...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year too all! ( for those politically correct, or offended. Happy Holidays!)

Thanks Rob,

I do regular Maintenance & backup to external Firewire Drives. And, 'Touch Wood', I've never had problems with any of my Computers over the years (& that's a lot of years) ;-) With my new PowerBook I decided to go back to having 'AppleCare Protection Plan'. I had it with my first couple of Mac's & then decided to not continue as 'Nothing ever goes wrong with my Macs'. But, on sound advice from Daniel Kerr, I decided to purchase it with this PowerBook. (Very expensive to replace a screen etc).

APP comes with TechTool Deluxe for Mac OSX v3.0.4, so I guess I don't require DiskWarrior.

Thanks again and Merry Xmas to all.

When Microsoft asks you, "Where do you want to go today?" Tell them, "Apple!"