I guess what makes this different from most, older style, phish mails is that ... well the URL displayed is in fact for the real NAB website... (however it points to a invalid subdirectory link so typing it in manually gets you a dead link message from the real NAB web server)......

now

if you look carefully (ie you try copy and paste some text from the body of the message you notice that rather than text it is, in fact, an image of text.

in fact a GIF image. with a href which if you click on the actual image you get directed somewhere else (to the phishers server in Turkey)

Look you can open them and for, relatively, some harmless fun you can type in any old fake details and guess what? it lets you in (but spits you out as soon as they think they have the details they want). if it's the kind of trivial pointless revenge thing that warms the cockles of your black heart you could probably quite easily write a script that fills in their form hundreds of thousands of times with random and fake "NAB client" details and then spend the next month chuckling to yourself that, maybe, just maybe, all their on line orders of laptops get rejected.

Mark Secker wrote:
I've literally had hundreds of them coming via dozens dead or dormant e-mail accounts of forwards that I have.

never ever EVER EVER open ANYTHING like this EVER EVER even if it's from your own IT department

Further more I have NEVER EVER seen a legitimate e-mail of this type. if they are legitimate they will tell you to ring their service center. and even then you look that up in the white/yellow pages rather than use any phone number they give you

A legitimate bank email will never ask you for your PIN number, net banking details, etc - if it does, it's a scam, and should be reported to the bank.

You should never follow a link in a message that appears to come from a bank (or, really, anybody else for anything important for security). Instead, use a bookmark or type in the address you know they have. For similar reasons, if they provide a phone number to call or address to send something to, do not use it - look up the bank's details in the phone book instead.

It is extremely important to understand that an e-mail can appear to come from any address of the sender's choice. If I can have your permission I'll demonstrate this shortly by sending a message to the WAMUG list that appears to come from you. Because sender addresses are so trivially faked, you can not trust that a message is from the person it appears to be from, and should generally be suspicious of any message, no matter who it's from, that asks for security details, personal details, or asks you to take actions like open an attachment, visit a website, or perform tasks on your computer.

Sucks, doesn't it?

--
Craig Ringer