Hi Ronni & Bob,

Further to my last post, Ronni's solution worked, phew! Thought for one
minute that I would have to re-install the OS.

So for the benefit of other OS X 10.3.9, once you have installed the latest
iTunes update, just trash the old itunes Receipts as per Ronni's
instructions. Worked a treat.

Many thanks again.

Philippe