Well, I bit the bullet and bought an EyeTV for DTT in time for the world cup next month.

I love it - Digital quality and the ability to record, pause, rewind live TV, all for $300 (and a spare computer). But the digital TV stream is no good for archiving shows, as it uses 2-3 GB per hour. You need to export to another more efficient format for archiving, but this is slooow on my 1GHz TiBook. Can anyone give a brief critique of the various video encoding formats (quality, size, time to encode) that I might try, including H.264, MPEG-4, DivX etc.? I tried H.264, but gave up encoding a movie when it was half-finished in a day (my G5 2x2.7 at work does a similar task in an hour!). I guess I'll have a Macbook soon enough, so that should help with speed...

But initially, I couldn't get SBS reception - a rather big deal since I bought the thing for watching the World Cup. I'm in Subiaco and my analog SBS reception was fairly dodgy, hard to see the football.

After a couple of weeks, I rearranged the gear in my lounge room, and lo, SBS reception! After some investigation, it turns out that in my borderline case, the signal quality is EXTREMELY sensitive to the location of the receiver, even though it remains plugged into the rooftop aerial.

Next to the computer, signal strength = ~50% and signal quality = 0%. Relocate it to next to the TV, signal strength ~55 - 60%, signal quality = 100%. I can turn the signal on and off just by picking up the receiver box and moving it around just a few inches (55% seems to be the magic number for reception). I can't explain it, except to assume that something is providing some kind of interference.

Since you can't automatically tune in your channels until you have reception, you can use the reception locator to manually tune the station(s), then find your reception hotspot:
<http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp?sectionID=22>

cheers,
Josh

Josh McKinnon : http://josh.corduroy.biz/ : [EMAIL PROTECTED]