Thanks to everyone for their comments, on and off-list. I can now (just) get SBS, and I'll try suggestions like better coax cable to improve the signal strength more. Luckily, because it's digital TV, just good enough still gives perfect picture.

Unfortunately, I can't replace the aerial - the landlord already spent a small fortune getting the signal to this standard :( And I still don't understand why moving the receiver around has such a significant effect on the signal strength...

I wasn't really clear enough about archiving. I'm not really interested in backing up to DVD (if I can avoid it), but rather, I'd like to store shows on disk. A 2 hour movie takes up ~7GB when stored in native Digital TV format, and I want to reduce that in order to avoid filling my disk.

I've used handbrake <http://handbrake.m0k.org/> to rip DVDs onto ~1GB movies with excellent quality (H.264, ~1024Kb/s bitrate, multi-pass). That takes 1-2 hours on my G5 in the office, but it was too slow using EyeTV on my powerbook.

I've just discovered that using EyeTV to convert to H.264 as above, is really slow, even on my fast G5 (three hours later, maybe 1/5 of the way through!!). I know it's not exactly the same thing, but EyeTV seems to be at least an order of magnitude slower at this process than handbrake.