Oh dear...I am NOT a techie, however, I also have an Epson 740 running with
a G5 iMac via a usb hub.  I use Printer Setup Utility to locate the two
printers I have connected, and have had no problems with printing in the
manner you describe.

You don't say anything about using your Printer Setup Utility...perhaps that
is the problem??

Barb