Hi Bob

On 12 Oct 2006, at 1:40pm, Robert Howells wrote:

I think you will find that this has something to do with customers being served by the ISP through the Telstra Wholesale data backbone , which had a price increase some time ago .

Those ISP's supplying exchanges with their own network ( read optic cable in the ground )
have a different cost aspect .

For example see here the Amnet network
<http://www.amnet.com.au/images/maps/Perth_NetworkMap_Digital.jpg>

        SORRY REG   ... THEY DO NOT SHOW GERO ON THE MAP !

and the Amnet Plans  ( up to 8MB/1MB for $49 and 10Gb monthly )
        <http://www.amnet.com.au/BroadbandInternet.aspx>

Unfortunately my exchange is not Amnet enabled and is fed by Telstra Wholesale at the moment ,
but so far price has not increased .

We can only get Telstra DSL access here in Geraldton to my knowledge, so I'm comparing plans costing $59.95:

with iiNet $59.95 per month for 512/128/5GB anytime with no voip phone with Internode $59.95 per month for 1500/256/10GB shaped with no voip phone with Amnet $59.00 per month for 1500/256/10GB/10GB/10GB WAIX (wozzat?) with no voip phone with Bigpond $59.95 per month for 256/64/unlimited* to 10GB then slowed with no voip phone with Westnet $59.95 per month for 1500/256/1GB (yes 1GB) with no voip phone

Now I might have a look at that Whirlpool says

Reg