Chris,

The levels of threat for Windows and Mac are totally different, so its not useful to compare yourself against your friend's experience.

There are very few viruses for Mac - the ones that are identified are so rare they get individual attention, and are often proof of concept rather than real. So you really don't need to worry.

That said, its prudent to take basic precautions like having your firewall on, and turning unnecessary services off. So go to System Preferences, Sharing and turn off Personal File Sharing and Windows File Sharing if you aren't using them. Click the Firewall tab and turn the firewall on.

Running anti virus software like Clam AV (www.clamxav.com/) isn't necessary for OS X (due to lack of viruses), but is useful for your friend because it will stop you inadvertently receiving and then sending on files infected with Windows viruses (even though they don't affect Mac).

If you want an external reference point, have a read of the Princeton University OS X security guidelines:
www.princeton.edu/~psg/unix/osx/osxsecurity.html
They include the following:
"There is still, at this writing, no virus that infects OS X. But virus-infected documents and e-mail attachments can be transmitted through OS X to Windows computers. Prevent that by using anti-virus software on your Mac.

This is quite different to the virus situation on Windows, I think you'll agree. 114,000 viruses to ... effectively none.

Viruses are different to spyware/keyloggers etc, however they aren't a problem either. The program you found - MacScan - is fine. It is reviewed by MacWorld: www.macworld.com/2006/07/reviews/macscan21/ index.php
But once more:
But the biggest problem with the program is that neither of its two core functions—scanning for spyware and cleaning up after your Web browser—is particularly necessary. There simply aren’t many actual examples of Mac OS X spyware to worry about. Of the 40-plus threats listed on the MacScan Web site, for example, many apply only to OS 9. And you can already configure most Web browsers not to collect cookies, caches, and other traces of past activity or to erase such information after it’s been collected. .... While Windows users might need a dedicated spyware-catcher, I’m not convinced there’s a real need for such specific Mac software.

You could sum this up by saying ... 'trust in OS X but tie your camel first". A few easy precautions to be on the safe side, and then relax.

Glenn.