I recently changed from Westnet¹s 1.5MB plan to the 8MB/384 plan. Like
others, I¹ve had slow line speeds and down load speeds (line speed varies
between 1835 kbps and 2343 kbps, download varies between 229KB/s and 293
KB/s). I¹m less than 750 metres cable distance from the Wellington Street
exchange. I¹m using a D-Link DSL-300 Generation II modem. Westnet support
says that the modem doesn¹t provide information needed for Westnet to check
line condition and attenuation.

I¹ve experimented with manual settings using system preferences but
automatic setting gives the fastest result. I¹ve seen a couple of postings
that mention G.DMT protocol. Is that something I can setup on the modem that
I have?

The other thing I¹ve noticed since the upgrade took effect is that it now
takes a lot longer to connect to Westnet. It¹s not uncommon to get a ³other
side is not responding² message. Given that I hadn¹t had that problem before
the change to the 8MB plan, even through the first few weeks of the school
holidays and over the Christmas New Year break, could this be a sign that
things need to be tweaked at the Westnet/iiNet end?

Regards,

Michael Hawkins.