On 29/01/2007, at 3:33 PM, Martin Hill wrote:

On 28/01/2007, at 3:04 PM, Severin Crisp wrote:

1. Is there a way of verifying that EyeTV will perform as well as the settop box in this known poor reception area?

I've found the EyeTV hardware to generally be as good as the digital set-top boxes we had previously. Originally our analog reception was very poor and when we first got a digital set-top box, the signal kept breaking up and glitching until we got a new antennae and I re-cabled with RG-6 "digital-ready" coax cable from the antennae to the box. (the old cable was rusted and connected on only one strand.)

Further to that , after my experience with an antennae lead there are things to be learnt
about terminating the cable ends .

Cable normally has an inner core covered by nylon then a copper mesh with finally
a very thin metal wrap before the outer plastic jacket .

The lead needs two connections .... the core ... and the metal wrap or copper mesh .

Since the metal wrap and the copper mesh are continuously in contact with each other it would seem that using the metal wrap would be good and sufficient. ..

NOT SO in my case . I was finally pushed to re terminate all ends of my cables and this time chose to fold back the mesh across the metal wrap and use the mesh as the contact point.

Previously channel 31 was hopeless , and not useable !
Now it's a quite good picture plus all the other channels are much better.

SO , if you have POOR reception visit all the ends of your aerial cable and re terminate them .
You have nothing to lose .

Bob