Lloyd,

I recommend you spend the few dollars to buy Audio Hijack:

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/

This program allows you to record audio from any program or source on your Mac, and to save it in AIFF format. Open that in iTunes and convert to MP3.

I have used Audio Hijack to solve many different audio problems.