Hi Lloyd,

A tip from Macworld weekly that you might be interested in:
"If you're having problems with regular hangs/pauses in Entourage; hangs that tie up the application with periods of heavy disk activity, try turning off the background database check."

"Launch Entourage while holding down the Option key; Database Manager is launched instead."

"Click Set Database Preferences. Uncheck background integrity checks."