the trend to USB is pretty much Apple being a "victim" of it's own success Viz. iMac, where peripheral manufacturers finally saw a potential (now realised) for a common interface for mac and PC products (and the "threatened" higher licensing fees Apple and Sony wanted for manufacturers to use IEEE 1394/FireWire)... that and the fact that anything was better than Windows serial and Parallel ports (and SCSI was not that much better) and with Win95 and 98 putting computers in to your average Joe's home it was the "right product at the right time"

With Apple, FireWire has always been "reserved" for their "pro" models

iBook - no, PowerBook - yes

G4 iMac - no, G4 Tower - yes

So by putting FireWire in the top end iMac and in to the MacBook (non pro base model iBook equivalent) they are either saying "these are pro units" or " we're creeping Fire Wire down the product range.

And it's not just Apple either that appear to be dropping/limiting their use of FW - I notice that Canon has not included a built-in FireWire connection on their New EOS D1 (D1 N Mark III) and rather gone for USB 2, (you can use FireWire but you need the additional Ethernet/WiFi/FW/GPS peripheral)

on the technical side of things:

USB uses a burst type transfer (non-isochonus) so it will deliver data in "fits and spurts" that _MAY_ cause streamed media to pause and restart as it buffers and transmits packets

FireWire uses Isochronous transfer so it has a guarantied transfer rate per second (so long as the hardware either side that can stream/buffer it that fast

Hi Sev,

I'm currently mulling this one over also. It may also depend on whether you
have firewire 800 or only (as me) 400.

I hear support for firewire as technically better for moving data, but I see
the momentum going with USB, even from Apple!:

- All new ipods are USB2 not firewire.
- The new AirPort Extreme Base Station lets you share a USB drive (or
multiple drives with a USB hub) as network storage - but you can't attach a
firewire drive.
- The mac mini has 4 USB2 ports but only one firewire 400 port (no firewire
800).
- All imacs have USB2 and one firewire 400 port (only the 24" also has
firewire 800).
- Only the Macbook Pro has firewire 800. (the Macbook only has 400)

It would seem to me that a firewire 800 port on both the disk and computer
would give far & away the best performance.

I hear that firewire 400 actually has the edge on USB2 but it seems to offer
less flexibility in connection options (eg shared storage & PCs) and
slightly more expense.

As you say, there are some great deals (& generally more choice) on USB2
drives and perhaps more connection flexibility.

I also hear that newer video cameras (at least the consumer level) are
tending to come out with USB2 connection rather than ilink (firewire). (Not
that you would be connecting the camera straight to the hard drive).

You can, of course, get enclosures with multiple connection options:

- USB2 + FW400
- FW400 + FW800
- USB2 + FW400 + FW800
- USB2 + ethernet
( I haven't seen USB2 + FW + ethernet)

But, of course, you pay for the added flexibility!

I will also be very interested to hear comments from others.

One other thing - I used to think that you could only boot from an external
FW disk, not USB, but the last time I was looking at disks I was told that
you CAN boot from an external USB2 disk - this may depend on the computer/OS
version? - More knowledgeable people could comment!

Do you have any specific drives that you are looking at at the moment?

Cheers

Neil
--
Neil R. Houghton