Hi Rosemary
A network storage device can be ok but tends to get slower if you are
trying to use the Internet while copying files to your hd I would
recommend that you go with a FireWire 400 or USB2 hard drive enclosure
because FireWire 400 hard drives allow you to boot of them which can
be good if you make a full mac os x copy on to you external hard
drive.
I would recommend the following Two enclosures but any thing with
Oxford 911 and Prolific chip set are pretty good

Icecube Pleiades
1 FireWire 400 and USB
http://www.macpower.com.tw/products/hdd3/pleiades/pd_400plus
2 USB/LAN http://www.macpower.com.tw/products/hdd3/pleiades/pd_usblan
3 NDAS/USB http://www.macpower.com.tw/products/hdd3/pleiades/pd_ndas

M9
1 Firewire/USB http://www.macpower.com.tw/products/hdd3/m9/m9dx (I
have one of these to stall lardge files on)
2 NDAS/USB http://www.macpower.com.tw/products/hdd3/m9/m9_ndas
3 LAN/USB http://www.macpower.com.tw/products/hdd3/m9/m9lan

these are all just hard drive enclosures i recommend you use a retailer such as

http://www.epowermac.com.au/ (I have use this retailer in the past)

on his web sight he has two choices just buy the enclosure or buy the
enclosure with a hard drive pre in stored. his hard drive prices can
be expensive Going on what you have said on previous e-mails to do
full back of both of your computers I recommend about five hundred
gigs

Hard Drive Enclosures:
http://www.epowermac.com.au/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=67&strPageHistory=cat
Hard Drives - External:
http://www.epowermac.com.au/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=68&strPageHistory=cat

I personally use one of these for all of my computer back ups
http://www.epowermac.com.au/product.asp?numRecordPosition=9&P_ID=573&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=81

2x 500GB

Regards Kyle