On 08/05/2007, at 10:21 AM, Peter Bull wrote:

You don't have to work in the mining industry to have broadband problems. We have just moved into a house in East Cannington (that is not in the outback incidentally) and checked that ADSL was available before we bought it. We applied to Westnet for a connection - yes, broadband is available in that area.
We then found out that we only have half copper to the house

******************

That means you must be on some sort of Multiplex system ,   AND
they can make Broadband available if they want to ... IF .. it's a later version of system.

I suggest you SCREAM like mad to your Politician and all and sundry .

Bob

and ADSL is not available.
It took many phone calls to Westnet, Telstra and Optus to get this information.

We are eligible for a satellite service, normally used by people in the country who are a long way from the phone exchange. We have changed our phone connection to Telstra in the hope that they will put in more wires so we can get ADSL. Telstra don't seem to have any interest in upgrading the service, but we hope that if we have the phone and broadband with BigPond (yuk) they might
connect us to the 21st century.

In the meantime we are back on dialup - it's like living in a house without running water.

Peter Bull
[EMAIL PROTECTED]