In case this is useful to someone else in the future ...

To resolve this error, I connected the drive via USB. Picked up the specific file involved and it was fine.

The error I initially received suggested a sector of the file was corrupt. Then the error (-36) suggested the drive might be at fault.
But turns out it was the network connection.

Glenn.