Hi Jude,

This Script will let you 'Disable Gracenote'  in iTunes.
"This script will toggle your firewall settings to prevent iTunes from accessing Gracenote's CDDB database when you insert a CD or choose "Get CD Track Names" from iTunes' Advanced menu.
Read Me contains details.

a PDF here: <http://dougscripts.com/itunes/pdf/disablegracenote.pdf>