I can't say for the 5700 but I belive Nikon, for a period of time, decided it would "proprietorise" its RAW format - encrypting it so that you couldn't use 3rd party RAW converters - only their $200'ish "Nikon Capture" program - a chronically short sighted move by anyone's reckoning.

I don't know if they ever ended up allowing third party developers to access those NEF's but I've got a friend who owns several Nikons and for one of them he simply can't use anything other than Nikon'$ "Nikon Capture" program

I have a Nikon Coolpix 5700 which shoots in the Nikon RAW format .NEF. I believe that the .NEF files produced by this camera and others of its vintage are different from .NEF or .RAW files from later Nikon cameras. iPhoto will not recognise this format, nor will it recognise .dng to which these files can be converted while retaining the raw data. Recognise is the wrong word to use here, it recognises the files and tries to read them then subsequently comes up with an error message. Photoshop and all the Adobe products are happy with my .NEF raw files. Is there a way to doctor or convert these so that iPhoto can recognise them? Aperture has the same list of recognisable RAW files as iPhoto. I like to use iPhoto to store and catalog all my photos and in a RAW format would be ideal. Currently I have to preprocess them for iPhoto and return to the RAW data source later, a duplication of storage apart from anything else.
Severin Crisp
                   Assoc Professor R Severin Crisp, FIP, CPhys, FAIP
       15 Thomas St, Mount Clarence, Albany, 6330, Western Australia.
                    Phone  (08) 9842 1950   (Int'l +61 8 9842 1950)
                            email  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Mark Secker Computer Support Officer
ph# 61-8-6488 1855 (ECEL) <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
University of Western Australia - CRICOS Provider No. 00126G
~

"It takes an idiot to do cool things.... that's why it's cool"
- Haruhara Haruka (FLCL)

Ubi fumus, ibi fumus