On 06/09/2007, at 3:18 PM, Severin Crisp wrote:

I have been looking for some fancy symbols and realise that Keyboard Viewer does not display some fonts correctly (Webdings, Zapf Dingbats) though they come up fine in Font Book. I have repaired permissions and trashed Keyboard Viewer Server preferences but no joy.
Any suggestions please?
Severin Crisp

Hi Severin,

Keyboard Viewer does a good job with “real” character fonts, but when you move into symbols and dingbats, you can have problems. Apple’s Character Palette can help in this regard because it will show you all those oddball characters and allow you to insert them into your text.

To view special characters in Keyboard Viewer, hold down any modifier keys (the option key, for example), and the on-screen keyboard will show you the special characters available for that particular key (or for that combination of modifier keys if you’re holding down more than one). To test other typefaces, click on the Font menu at the bottom of the window and select another one.

For example, hold down the Option key and type G and the copyright symbol © appears in your text.

Webdings shows ok in my Keyboard Viewer, but Zapf Dingbats doesn't.