On 06/09/2007, at 3:18 PM, Severin Crisp wrote:

I have been looking for some fancy symbols and realise that Keyboard Viewer does not display some fonts correctly (Webdings, Zapf Dingbats) though they come up fine in Font Book. I have repaired permissions and trashed Keyboard Viewer Server preferences but no joy.
Any suggestions please?
Severin Crisp

This is a known bug in Keyboard Viewer. Hopefully it will be fixed in Leopard, but I have read nothing to suggest this might be true. Unfortunatley, no amount of repairing permissions or trashing support files will help.

Your best alternative (with built-in Mac OS X resources) id the Character Palette. If you don't have this turned on, it can be accessed from the bottom of the Edit menu in many programs ("Special Characters..."), but not all (notably, of course, Microsoft Office). If you don't see Special Characters... in the Edit menu, you'll have to activate it by going to System Preferences > International > Input Menu Tab and click the chekc box next to Character Palette at the top of the list of input methods. You can now access the Character Palette from the International Menu (the same way you access Keyboard Viewer) and this works in pretty much any program, including Office 2004.

It doesn't give you the keyboard commands of Keyboard Viewer, but it does give you access to thousands of symbols in any font you have available.

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Fax (618) 9332 0913