Peter,

Word will have used your current printer to paginate your document as you
see it on screen. I'm not what technique you used to convert your Word
document into a PDF, but my guess is that the conversion used a virtual
printer with a subtly different page definition, forcing your document to
repaginate during the conversion throwing some invisible items onto a new
page resulting in your troublesome blank pages.

My suggestion is that you go back into the Word document and turn on the
display of invisible characters. Look through the document for trailing
spaces and/or paragraph marks, particularly if these are just before a page
break. If there are a few empty paragraphs before a page break, it will just
look like empty space, but if they get bumped onto the top of a new page,
the page break which follows will throw a blank page into your document.
Delete this "blank space" and your problem may disappear!

HTH,
John
John Winters
Phone +61 8 9244 4564