I've had good (but not always total) success recovering data off of damaged disks, including "invalid b tree node size" errors, with ProSoft's "Data Rescue".

It's a commercial product but available as a download an online purchase (I think it cost me about $99USD - I consider it some of the best money spent software wise and have it on both my Macs and on a bootable firewire drive)

the download is a workable demo that will let you know what /should/ be recoverable and you can recover a limited number of files (1?) but the full version is unrestricted

http://www.prosofteng.com/

You'll need to be able to boot to a different disk (external or boot your mac in to target mode and connect it to another mac)