On 22/10/2007, at 11:19 PM, Alex wrote:
I may be wrong but I believe that Macs were sold at UWA in the 70s for basically close to cost to students. Obviously, Macs were really popular for that reason and because they were so far ahead of Windows at that time.

I was a student at UWA during the first few years after the Mac's release in 1984 and at the time they were still very expensive even with the education discount - trust me on this. My family bought an educ discount 512k Mac, dot-matrix Imagewriter and external 400k floppy drive for around $4,000 in 1985 from the Apple uni consortium shop at UWA and my Mac II with 1MB of RAM, twin floppies and no hard disk cost me $8,000 in 1987 also from UWA. After kicking Steve Jobs out, John Sculley and Jean Louise Gasse for most of those years followed a very premium pricing policy which made them FAR more expensive than the competition.

However, this great strategy by Apple did not seem to translate into the "real" world where businesses were sold on Windows. Could this have been caused by Apple's pricing policy outside of the Uni environment? I would have thought that the students going out into the business world would drag Apple with them.

Even at the height of Mac popularity, I never saw anything on campus at UWA or Curtin like the interest students, the general population and my fellow Windows-indoctrinated colleagues are now showing in Macs. In the latest uni student survey below, Apple is second only to Dell with 23% owning Macs but the figures regarding intent to purchase are mind-boggling: 44% say their next machine will be a Mac. I was founding vice president of the University Macintosh Users Club (UMUC) based at UWA from around 1985-87 and interest amongst fellow students was *never* remotely in that league.

Is the latest upswing for Apple a case of riding on the coattail of the iPod, which was a masterstroke of design & invention?

The free iPod with every Mac purchase has undoubtedly helped in the education market, but a multiplicity of other factors have also contributed: the move to intel and subsequent Boot Camp and virtualisation compatibility which reduces the perceived risk of switching close to zero, the plethora of "alpha geeks" and prominent bloggers who have switched, the backlash from Vista's problematic debut, the safe harbour from malware of the Mac platform, as well as more reasonable pricing etc.

Here's more detail on the Student survey:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/10/22/apple.second.with.students/

"Apple No. 2 behind Dell in student PC survey
SurveyU.com recently surveyed one thousand students about which computer they relied on for their schoolwork. According to the survey, Dell is the most popular, with Apple coming in second, but the results show that Apple is poised to take first place. With 23 percent of the vote, Apple is ten points behind Dell, but maintains a seven point lead on the next runner-up, Hewlett-Packard, even when taking into account the PC manufacturer's daughter companies -- Compaq and VooDoo. Apple has a large lead, however, in the other polled statistics, with 44 percent of students saying their next machine would be an Apple, and more than 80 percent of Apple users bought their computers through the company's student program. Dell took second place in those particular categories, with only 21 percent saying that they would subsequently by a Dell and 30 percent saying their purchased their computer through the student discount program. respectively.

"One of the things that Apple and Dell have going for them, according to the survey, is a well-designed student purchase program, whereas the other manufacturers -- HP, Acer, Toshiba, Sony, and all of their subsidiaries -- lack a solid program.

"SurveyU.com found that a typical US college student spends an average of $1290, and that the students were biased towards cost- effective, consumer-grade laptops, with four out of five students owning a portable computer versus a desktop model.

"Apple's "secret" weapon in the race to be number one in education rests on the shoulders of the venerable iPod, SurveyU.com discovers. Thanks to the recent iPod promotion -- where students who bought a new Mac would receive a iPod nano -- Apple has gained a lot of market share and only stands to gain more, according to statistics. This, together with iTunes U and the newly announced "Beyond Campus", has shown how deeply committed Apple is to the collective student body."

-Mart

Martin Hill
email: mart "at" ozmac.com
homepages: http://mart.ozmac.com