I googled possible reasons, but couldn't really find out how hot it should run. I found information about a small free application called CoreDuo Temp. I downloaded it, and it told me that the temperature of the machine was running between 45 and 50 degrees Celsius. Perhaps it's just me, but that seems to be very hot. Does anyone know if this is normal?

this is quite normal CPU temperature, in fact that's about 10c lower than a core duo runs in some white box windows boxes I've tested recently , the iMac doesn't have a big copper heat sink like normal desktops so the heat is dissipated directly to the case. The ambiant temperature + airflow will dictate how hot the case gets

Today although the room is quite cool, I have a fan directed at the computer, however, it is still reading as 45-48 degrees Celsius.

I've got a dual processor G5 tower and as my house isn't air conditioned come the warmer months I have to point a fan at it to stop it's own internal fans from doing it's 747 at take off impersonation.

having said that my last Wintel box, a 1.3Ghz Pentium 4, needed exactly the same thing to stop it from shutting it's self down via it's thermal protection cut off during summer.

--
Mark Secker Computer Support Officer
ph# 61-8-6488 1855 (ECEL) <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"It takes an idiot to do cool things.... that's why it's cool"
- Haruhara Haruka (FLCL)

Ubi fumus, ibi fumus