Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 09:09:05 +0800
To: "Adam hewitt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: Jude <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New iMac Advice
Bcc:
But if you're not intending to send your Mac into space, is it OK to buy third party RAM? :P

Keep in mind that the genuine Apple RAM is ECC Registered, where as any RAM
you buy is likely to be non-ECC registered unless you spend quite a bit of
money on it.

ECC registered RAM as listed by Wikipedia.org is:

Error-correcting memory

    Main article: Dynamic random access memory#Errors and error correction

Because soft errors are extremely common in the DRAM of computers used in
satellites and space probes, such memory is structured as ECC memory (also
called "EDAC protected memory"). Typically every bit of memory is refreshed
at least 15 times per second. During this memory refresh, the memory
controller reads each word of memory and writes the (corrected) word
back.[citation needed] Such memory controllers traditionally use a Hamming
code, although some use triple modular redundancy. Even though a single
cosmic ray can upset many physically neighboring bits in a DRAM, such memory
systems are designed so that neighboring bits belong to different words, so
such single event upsets (SEUs) cause only a single error in any particular
word, and so can be corrected by a single-bit error correcting code. As long
as no more than a single bit in any particular word is hit by an error
between refreshes, such a memory system presents the illusion of an
error-free memory. [1]

Read more here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECC_memory#Error-correcting_memory

Adam.