Hi Bill,

So you are telling us that the Superdrive (CD/DVD Drive) is not showing in Disk Utility or System Profiler.
The iMac is not recognising the drive.
We are not sure if a Disc is in the drive.

I think it might be time to get a Technician to have a look at it for you.

You could try again in Terminal, enter "drutil eject" (without the " ") then press RETURN?

Also, there is a physical release that's supposed to move aside when the mechanism runs. These feel like vertical bars one on either side of the slot about 25% in. If you felt extremely game you could try to reach in about an inch - very, very, carefully - with something thin, and move these bars toward the outside while the mechanism is running. If you get the timing right, you'll feel it go clunk, and the disk will come out. You need to have your tool out of the slot when this happens, or the Mac will think you're inserting a CD, and suck the disk back in.

This document explains the mechanism, scroll down to 'Uneven Edge of the CD or DVD'

A link for DIY how to take the Optical Drive out:
<http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/imacg5_20inch_OpticalDrive.pdf>

Hope you can get it sorted out.