Hi Barry,

Without being too much of an alarmist, how old are your grandchildren? I am surprised to see children quite young (as in 8 and below) using mobile phones. Mobile phone companies simply brush off the dangers of mobile phones, but they are a health hazard - do your own research and you'll find enough evidence to alarm you. I have been concerned for various emissions such as electromagnetic radiation and those from telecommunication installations for more than 15 years - there's plenty of material there to help us make an informed choice; I find it ironic that a number of years ago, while the public in the UK were being issued with brochures on safe use of mobile phones (including the forbidden use for children between the ages of about 5 and 11) in the USA, Motorola signed a multi-million dollar contract with Disney to provide mobile phones to a similar age bracket. If anyone has any doubts on the dangers of mobile phone emissions from either base station towers or the phones themselves, speak to any armed forces communications officer. In New York city, they have been removing trasmission antennae from residential apartment blocks.

Remember that smoking, asbestos and DDT were once considered safe.

I carry a mobile phone for emergencies and NEVER leave it switched on next to my body for long periods. It's also not hard to find recent statistics on the number of car accidents caused by using phones whilst driving as compared to the benefits of having a mobile in a dangerous situation.

Australia and the Mobile Carriers Forum are really back in the dark ages and are doing very little to inform us - if it doesn't matter to you then that's a personal choice - as for us, our daughters (4 and 8) already discuss the dangers of the overuse of mobile phones (yes, I shall be holding out as long as possible before allowing them to have a mobile). Mobile phones are making certain companies very, VERY rich with total disregard to the impact on the health of our society.

Oh, besides health, I met a colleague's son who at a conference admitted that his last phone bill was "around $3000" and his friend, "around $1500".

Gosh...what did we do without them?

Regards

Phil

With so many people showing an interest in getting an iPhone is there someone with an old unlocked phone they have replaced. I am looking for something for one of my Grandchildren who tends to destroy phones with great regularity so it needs to be reasonably cheap. Bells and whistles are not required but it must pass the "not daggy" test. Also should be unlocked so current Vodaphone SIM card can be used.

Thanks

Barry