Jude and Bob
Thank you for comments on this issue.
Comments from users who have had trouble with firewire point to the port on the computer being the weakness. I have not used a HD powered from the mains but I suspect the "olden days approach" would be even more relevant in that situation.
For myself, I'll err on the side of caution.
Thank you both.
Merv

Personally for my own protection   i   AVOID   connecting and disconnecting
the firewire cable  to a powered up external firewire enclosure .

Ah yes, sorry, I assumed when someone plugs something into a computer that they turn it on after plugging it in. What I was saying was that the computer doesn't have to be turned on only after the device is attached.

In the olden days one would turn on external HDs and printers before booting up the computer. With USB that seems to have gone by the wayside. However, in a recent topic on WAMUG dealing with external HDs and firewire a remark/question was made or put regarding having connected and started up the external firewire HD before booting the computer. Is this the recommended approach? I use a portable firewire connected HD for my backups (powered by the computer). I just plug in and update. Could I be courting disaster?
Merv
--
"Science teaches that we must see in order to believe, but we must also believe in order to see."

"Science teaches that we must see in order to believe, but we must also believe in order to see."