I did the same , ie. splurged ona a Magsafe Airline Adapter.

So far I've found Cathay Pacific as the only airline on which I've travelled which on some of its aircraft has access to power points in economy. And even then, all I needed was a standard adapter to fit a UK-style powerpoint. The Magsafe has so far proven useless over the two years I've had it. Perhaps its more aligned to the aircraft flying out of the US?!

Cheers, Steven