try this..........works on my powerbook
http://www.speedtest.net/

James

On 26/08/2008, at 7:12, bill parker wrote:

Folks,

I have an Optusnet DSL account in a Regional 1 area. My plan gives me 2GB download limit and speed 512K. Because Optus hiked the telephone price ( fixed charge) to over $50/month last year I uncoupled the DSL account from the "bundle" and went back (again) to Telstra. The DSL is costing $51.95 a month.

When the 2GB limit is reached, the speed drops to about dial -up modem pace.

So, last weekend, well and truly inside the 2GB limit, I experience a very slow download speed. After a lot of frustrating web searching I tried the phone - more frustration with that inane "I am sorry, I am having trouble understanding you" voice.

Then,,,,, I got there. Closed on Saturdays and Sundays. Yesterday I got a real person in India who least gave me some facts. My download speed is actually (and officlally) 45 - 512K. At first she said "up to 512". What?

She offered my a download speed test:

www.optuszoo.com.au/help/downloadtest

Is the fact that Optus is set up for Windows, or is it me? Couldn't make any of that work.

Westnet is looking better.    Bugger Optus.

Bill

SAD Technic
Video Productions, Electronic repairs
U3 / 6 Chalkley Pl
Bayswater WA 6053
+618 9370 5307,+618 6262 5707, 0414 421 132
http://www.iinet.net.au/~saddas
skype: barleeway