Hi Stephen, I have not tested my iphone in rural or remote areas, so can't say what the reception would be like. We may have other iphone users in WAMUG who have travelled around using them.

For email and the other functions, I make sure I am on wireless. We have a wireless network at home, and now here in the apartment we are staying at in Chongqing.

The are many cafes around Perth which have free wireless access, plus in China, we have Starbucks cafes all over the place.

So, its possible to have an iphone, use all the functions, and not run up a great big bill. E.g. you cannot use the iTunes store unless you are connected to a wireless network, it won't connect through 3g, although email and web do.

Its quite the best phone I've ever had, very easy to use, plus being my ipod as well.

cheers, Susan.