I wouldn't trust what Telstra has to say about the iPhone as they have a very poor track record so far.

Telstra's operations chief Greg Winn, "considered the telco's second- in-charge and the man who oversees most of its big product decisions" infamously scoffed that Apple should "stick to their knitting" and stay out of the phone market back in early 2007:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/biztech/telstra-to-apple-stick-to-your-knitting/2007/02/15/1171405363291.html

Telstra have since dragged their feet at every step delaying announcing data pricing till after the iPhone launched and then insulting potential customers with exhorbitant data plans. Only once it became obvious that Optus was making a killing with their reasonable iPhone plans did Telstra drop their charges to something more realistic (though still expensive).

I think the problem is that Telstra has control issues and doesn't like Apple having the iTunes store when they have been trying to push their own Bigpond music, movies, games and TV online stores and lock customers into their own revenue-generating services.

It is unfortunate considering that Telstra's NextG network definitely has the highest speed and coverage of all the 3G networks in Aus. :-(

-Mart