On 27/10/2008, at 5:46 PM, Robert Miller-Eves wrote:

For future reference - no one has recommended start up in Single User Mode, but this can often work wonders with Macs that won't start up properly. Boot the Mac, then immediately hold down Command-S until you see some scrolling UNIX code on a black background. This allows you to run fsck (that's not a bad spelling mistake - it stands for File System Check). You type fsck -fy at the prompt and wait for it to do its thing. It has worked for me when even Diskwarrior has failed. It fixes a multitude of problems with the disk catalog, permissions, and many other things.

In fact, I had to use it on my old G4 tower just a week or so ago following an iTunes upgrade. the computer would not progress past a solid blue screen, but following a restart in Single User Mode and running fsck ,everything came back to normal and it's been running perfectly ever since.

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Fax (618) 9332 0913