Thanks Daniel. Had a read of those sites. The problem does sound similar to mine, but I couldn't follow the fixes proposed. The solution makes reference to deletion of a "URLMount (from old Mac)". I do have a URLMount folder on both MBP and MB, but not a "URLMount (from old Mac)" on either. I did however back up the data on the MB from Time Machine, and then once I got my MBP back from repair, I transferred the user (me) from the MB to the MBP using Target Disk mode. So it must have something to do with the problem it seems.

By the way, when I use the "Connect As.." function, eventually I get this error message...

"Connection failed. The server may not exist or is not operational at this time. Check the server name or IP address and your network connection and try again".

Both MB and MBP are accessing the network just fine, and as mentioned earlier, the MBP can access the MB.

Cheers, Steven