Does this help :-

<http://images.apple.com/server/macosx/docs/Leopard_Security_Config_20080530.pdf >

Bob

On 31/10/2008, at 8:01 PM, Neil Houghton wrote:

Hi Steven,

Glad to hear you found a solution.

I must admit, I find the Mac OSX firewall set-up much harder to understand
now.

It used to be that the firewall was on by default (but you could turn it off if you so desired) and then you just turned on the features that you wanted - eg file sharing, internet sharing etc. This all seemed self explanatory
(ie easy).

Now we have the choice to:

"Allow all incoming connections" or
"Allow only essential services" or
"Set access for specific services and applications"

Having checked my set-up (which I'm sure was the default) it seems to be the
first option - which sounds like it means firewall "off"

Didn't we used to deride Windows for having the firewall "off" by default?

The trouble is, now I'm not sure how the other two options work - and the
help manual didn't enlighten me!

For example, what does OSX regard as "Essential Services" ?

I note that if you tick one of the boxes in the Sharing panel and then check
back at the Firewall panel, then that "service" has been listed, eg:
File Sharing (AFP)
Printer Sharing

I would have thought that if you had ticked the box and the service was
listed then it would now be considered "essential" However, Steven's
experience seems to suggest that this is not the case (so what ARE
"essential services")

Or are the services listed only enabled if you tick the third option and, if so, how do you know what you need to enable to do various things - in fact what sort of things/programs require "incoming connections" and how do you know? (or to put it another way, what sort of things are likely to stop
working if I tick it!!)

Anybody seen any GOOD articles that cover the new OSX firewall system & how
to set-it up (as I say, I found the onboard help pretty useless!)

Cheers

Neil
--
Neil R. Houghton