Hi again Kevin,

I found this Document on one of my External Drives (boy, I need a decent filing system, so I can find stuff) ;-)

Installing Tiger without a DVD drive:
Use an external DVD drive:

That might seem like an obvious solution but many Mac users are wondering whether this is possible. The good news is that it is, with most external DVD drives. Anything modern, self powered, FireWire equipped and using the latest firmware available for it has good chances to do the trick.

The difficulty here is that you need to be able to boot from this device. To perform the installation this way, connect the external drive to the Mac, insert the DVD into it and restart your Mac while holding the “Option” key.

After a while, your Mac should present you with a list of all the available boot volumes, which includes this external drive — you may need to wait a few minutes until you can click on it but that’s normal. From there on, simply follow the traditional steps and you should be all right.

Using FireWire Target Disk Mode

This installation method relies on the ability of modern Macs to boot into a special mode called “FireWire Target Disk Mode” that causes them to be seen by other computers are simple external FireWire hard drives. It will require that you have a spare Mac with a built-in SuperDrive or Combo drive (anyone knows why they aren’t called ComboDrive, by the way?) to play with.

Start by starting the DVD-deprived Mac into FireWire Target Disk Mode, by holding the “T” key down until you see a big FireWire logo dancing on the screen. Then, by using a thick, known-good FireWire cable, connect it to your other Mac and wait until it appears on your Desktop.

Finally, insert the Tiger DVD into the computer and restart it. From there on, simply follow the traditional steps. You will be able to select the external Mac in the Installer Window as the destination drive for Mac OS X. Your other volumes should be left intact.

Hi Kevin,

Information here how to install using Target Disc Mode. You might find it useful Kevin.

<http://lowendmac.com/misc/06/0710.html>

<http://lowendmac.com/misc/06/0914.html>

I did read about installing Tiger by just running the OSInstall.mpkg located in /System > Installation > Packages on the DVD. BUT, I can't find whether this had any complications, as I'm not sure if this would give you a Stable System this way.

If I find the document I read, I'll let you know.