On 21/12/2008, at 2:27 PM, Rod Blitvich wrote:

Hi WAMUGers
For several weeks I have been unable to perform a Time Machine backup. It starts off and then later I discover it has been unable to backup. I get
error messages such as
"there was an error copying"

"Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while copying files to the
backup volume."

I have removed the old backup and started again - with no success.
I have used Disk Utility to repair the backup drive - it says no problems.

10.5.6
Backing up to an external Firewire 1TB drive.

Please does anyone have any ideas?
Ta
Rod

Hi Rod,

It could be choking on a file.

The Time Machine menu bar extra (the reverse-arrow sync icon) will have a black triangle exclamation mark in it. The extra's drop-down menu will have "Latest Backup: Failed…" in the top line. Selecting that menu item takes the user to the System Prefs pane for Time Machine which then shows an "info" button in red next to the word "Failed" (also in red).

Clicking on the red "i" brings up a drop-down sheet declaring the following:

"Time Machine Error

Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while copying files to the backup volume."

To ascertain which is the offending file, one could use the Console -> All Messages option.